I’m someone who likes to balance meat and vegetable protein, so this morning I woke up at my girlfriend’s and decided to try something out: slice the sprouted tofu I bought earlier this week and fry it up like sausage for an egg sandwich. I prefer sprouted tofu for most dishes except soup because it’s firmer and higher in protein.
Also, please know that I’m not saying that crispy tofu can replace sausage or the lamb bacon I bought recently. I’m merely saying if you want a change or don’t need the cholesterol/fat or are a vegetarian, this is definitely worth trying especially since it took me a whopping total of 15 minutes to prepare and cook.
This is what I used:
- 2 1/8 inch slices of sprouted tofu
- 1 egg
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cherry tomato spread
- 2 slices of bread
This is how I did it:
- Sprinkled salt and pepper on both sides of tofu
- Added a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and placed tofu in once oil was hot
- Fry on bottom side until there’s a crispy light brown color and then flip
- Once tofu has a nice color on both sides, place on plate
- Crack egg into the same pan used for tofu
- Cook one side of the egg and flip
- Place cheese on top of the already cooked side and cover with small lid for cheese to melt quicker
- Once other side is cooked and cheese is melted, place both the egg, tofu, and some arugula on toasted bread
- Apply spread on one side of bread and ENJOY! (note: alternatively you can use a sweet jam instead of a savory spread)
If done right, there’s a nice crispiness to tofu, crunch from the bread, gooeyness from the cheese and egg, and tops off with a nice sweet and savoriness from the cherry tomato spread.